Sunday, August 10, 2008

Do you believe?

I finally had time to catch up on some television shows I've been wanting to watch. Thank heaven for iPods, iTunes, Tivo, Handbrake, and all the technology that let's me take shows with me. One of the shows I've heard was great and I wanted to watch is Saving Grace. Holly Hunter plays a detective with all sorts of issues. Good writing, characters that are interesting to watch, overall good show. But get this. I'm watching the 1st episode of the 1st season and I find out:

She's an atheist who has a true religious experience and now has an angel following her around.

Now that stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm an atheist and although I might follow Buddhist cultural philosophies, I can't get my hands around belief ... spiritual or otherwise ... taking a leap of faith and just believing ... but lately I've been feeling a drive to do just that ... just believe.

So here is my question: "Can an atheist have a true belief?"

I believe in science, but at its base science has a belief system as well. If you watch the movie "What the bleep do we know" it basically states that at the core fundamental level, everything is belief and we really don't know what is going on. And in fact our theories only shine light on a small corner of reality.

If I look at it that way, I guess the only thing I believe in is my beliefs ... oh no, I think my brain just popped ...

Well, time to go down the next level ... how far do you you want to go down the rabbit hole? Follow me

- Steven

No comments:

Ratings by outbrain

wibiya widget