Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Do my words matter?

I was having an intense conversation with a very close friend of mine the other day and she asked for my opinion about a specific set of circumstances. Of course me being me, I couldn't resist putting in my $0.02. However, what struck a cord in me was the fact that she cared about my opinion. And the question that came to mind was "why does she care?"

The band Staind has a great song called "Everything Changes" and a line in the song is "What could I really say. And would it matter anyway?" That line has struck a chord in me since I first heard it. People will feel what they feel, do what they do, believe what they believe, regardless of what someone else says.

So the real question is "Do my words matter?" and of course the follow up "Do I matter?"

Probably not. Whatever we say won't make a difference ... unless what you are saying is the truth (see the rest of this blog for discussions about the truth) ... if it is the truth then your opinion, your perceptions, all your distortions fall away and your words illuminate what is real.

Words can be hollow, fake, mask truth. You can say you love someone, that you'll be there, that you didn't mean it, that you will do something, or want something, but unless you act that way (see congruence post), then these words don't matter.

So, maybe the fact that she wanted my opinion ... my words ... was just an exploration for the truth.

And I guess that is a compliment enough that she believes in me enough to take a moment to explore the truth with me.

See you on the wire

Steven Cardinale

No comments:

Ratings by outbrain

wibiya widget